Somali Defense Minister warns opposition against holding anti-government protests in Mogadishu


Wednesday October 15, 2025

 

Mogadishu (HOL) — Somali Defense Minister Ahmed Moallim Fiqi has issued a strong warning to opposition politicians, saying that public demonstrations in the capital will not be permitted.

Speaking in Mogadishu on Tuesday, Fiqi accused some opposition figures of receiving funds to organize protests that he said threaten the city’s security and stability. He stressed that the government would not allow citizens to be mobilized for what he described as “political purposes.”

“These elders who are now shouting are the same ones who were once banned from flights and attacked in hotels. When have you seen them claiming they are going to change things?” Fiqi said. “We allow them to carry banners on their own, but we will not allow them to take out the public.”

The defense minister went on to describe opposition politicians as “political extremists,” claiming that President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud had already held five meetings with them and agreed to their key demands.

“The opposition has no real political agenda other than mobilizing the public by paying small sums of five dollars to evict the poor from their homes,” Fiqi alleged.

Fiqi’s remarks come after both the government and the opposition recently agreed to postpone planned demonstrations in Mogadishu due to heightened security concerns following a recent attack on Godka Jilacow, a heavily guarded detention facility in the capital.

Despite the postponement, opposition leaders have vowed that peaceful protests will still take place in Mogadishu in the coming days.

 








Click here