5/30/2024
Today from Hiiraan Online:  _
advertisements
Galmudug leaders at loggerheads: President and Vice President clash over anti-al-Shabab operations


Thursday September 7, 2023

Dhusamareb (HOL) - Galmudug Regional State Vice President Ali Dahir Eid has accused the regional President, Ahmed Abdi Kariye QoorQoor, of playing a role in the failure of anti-al-Shabab military operations in Galmudug State.

The accusation came after Vice President Eid suspended Galmudug Interior Minister Abdi Mohamed Diriye Wayel, alleging that he undermined the military operations. However, President Ahmed QoorQoor objected to this decision, stating that the Vice President's action went against the Galmudug constitution and exceeded the powers granted to the Vice President by the constitution.

advertisements
In an interview with an online channel on Wednesday night, Vice President Ali Dahir Eid claimed that both the minister and the President were united in sabotaging the efforts of President Hassan Sheikh to eradicate al-Shabab from Galmudug State.

"I assure you that Abdi's suspension is in effect. President QoorQoor and the minister are aligned in undermining the fight against al-Shabaab and the efforts of President Hassan Sheikh," said the Galmudug Vice President.

Ali Eid emphasized that the war against al-Shabaab should not be politicized, expressing his inability to tolerate the Minister of Internal Affairs focusing on matters unrelated to the fight against al-Shabaab.

This public conflict between Galmudug leaders is the first of its kind since their election to leadership positions after working together for three and a half years.

President Mohamud has been in Dhusamareb for over a month to oversee operations in the Galgadud region. However, the federal army-led military operation suffered a setback following a deadly al-Shabab attack on two military brigades.

Reports suggest that government troops retreated from El Dheer, Masagaway, Gal'ad, and Budbud in the Galgadud region following a deadly al-Shabab attack on soldiers in the village of Cosweyne last week.

The government has yet to confirm the number of casualties from the attack, but it is believed dozens were killed, with more than 160 injured and an unspecified number missing. A purported al-Shabab video shows a captured soldier.

Mohamud on Tuesday announced that his government arrested some of the officers who left the front lines, without specifying the number of officers in detention. But he said they will be brought to the government's military court.



 





Click here