Wednesday March 31, 2021
Puntland President Ahmed Madobe (L) and Puntland President Said Abdullahi Deni (R)
Mogadishu (HOL) - The governments of Puntland and Jubaland have issued a joint statement accusing federal government officials of obstructing electoral talks with the regional leaders, further deepening the electoral stalemate.
"The Federal Member States of Puntland and Jubaland is concerned that senior officials of the outgoing Federal Government are obstructing the conference in Mogadishu," the statement said.
The group accused President Farmajo of acting as a "spoiler."
The statement added that last week's talks with their regional counterparts, Galmudug, Southwest and Hirshablle, did not bear any fruit and efforts by the international community to convene a meeting with the Prime Minister and FMS leaders did not work.
The two regional presidents said they had been in Mogadishu for three weeks at the international community's request to finalize the September 17 agreement.
The statement warned that a failure to reach an electoral deal soon would threaten Somalia's political stability and return the country to a civil conflict.
The joint-statement comes on the heels of meetings between the heads of the regional states and the international community. There are reports the international community pressured the two leaders to withdraw their stipulations. Among those in attendance was UN Special Representative to Somalia James Swan and US Ambassador to Somalia Yamamoto.
The federal government has not yet responded immediately to the allegations from Jubaland and Puntland.