Monday July 12, 2021
FILE - Galmudug Information Minister Ahmed Shire Falagle (L) and Mudug Governor, Abdilatif Muse Nur (R)
Galkayo (HOL) - The Galmudug government has said that they are pursuing the people behind the murder of three people from the same family, who were shot dead by unknown gunmen killed near the village of Saax-qurun located west of Galkayo on Sunday.
According to relatives, the attack killed two children and their uncle, Hassan Diriye Elmi Walid, their guardian. The gunmen also injured an 8-year-old boy.
The relative told the BBC that Walid was raising the children after their father had previously been killed.
Galmudug Information Minister Ahmed Shire Falagle told the BBC that the administration was working to apprehend the militants.
The Gunmen stormed the family home at around midnight on Sunday, killing three people on the spot and wounding another member of the family who remains in hospital.
Meanwhile, the Puntland administration has blamed the killings on Al Shabaab-linked individuals and said the aim was to distract Galmudug and Puntland from the Al Shabaab insurgency.
The governor of the Mudug region, Abdilatif Muse Nur, said that whenever Puntland and Galmudug launch an offensive against Alshabab, Al-Shabaab uses people to incite violence in the Mudug region.
Abdilatif said the perpetrators were Puntlanders.