Today from Hiiraan Online:  _
One police officer killed in Al-Shabaab attack

Friday July 24, 2020

Security forces on Wednesday repulsed terrorists who attacked Yumbis area in Garissa County. One officer later died due to injuries while three others are in hospital.

Al-Shabaab terrorists attacked a security camp in the area but were repulsed by Border Patrol Unit personnel who were there at about 6 pm.

The attackers then turned their anger on manyattas in the area and burnt them down, accusing locals of leaking their plan to police.

North Eastern Regional Police boss Rono Bunei said the attackers also burnt down a house belonging to a primary school principal before escaping.

A reinforcement arrived in time, but the group of about 20 had escaped, locals said.

Officials said an Improvised Explosive Device went off but no injury was reported.

In Fafi, Garissa County, security officials recovered more than 20 high explosive ammunition on the roadside concealed under a camel bag. It is not clear who had abandoned the bag.

This is the latest such attempted attack in the region. On July 13, a man believed to be an al-Shabaab terrorist was killed by a bomb he was planting on the roadside in Geneva, Mandera County.

It is believed the bomb targeted security agents who frequently use the route.

Bunei said they have enhanced operations to address such incidents.

He said such bombs are set up to target security movements and urged for cooperation from locals.

“We can stop such incidents with the help of locals. No one can plant a bomb on a public road without being seen; we need their cooperation to stop the trend,” he said.

Security agencies are on high alert following reports the militants are planning attacks targeting security agencies and vital installations in the region. There has been a lull in attacks with the Covid-19 pandemic, but these have resumed. 

Two weeks ago, security officers foiled a kidnapping plan outside Dabacity, Elwak in Wajir border with Somalia.

Officials said Shabaab militants had hijacked a civilian-driven pick-up with eight occupants but were intercepted as they drove towards Somalia.

About the same time, militants launched an unsuccessful attack on a police camp in Fafi before escaping towards Kenya-Somalia border. 


Click here