10/25/2020
Today from Hiiraan Online:  _
Ads By Google
Kenya mounts security operation in north following Shabaab attack

Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph ole Nkaissery addressing the media after meeting leaders from north-eastern Kenya at the Boma Hotel on January 27, 2014. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP


Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Ads By Google
A massive security operation comprising the military and the Kenya police is currently underway to flush out al-shabaab militants who attacked a village in northern Kenya and butchered 14 Kenyans.The victims were attacked on Tuesday morning as they were sleeping in Soko Mbuzi village where non-locals and mostly quarry workers live.

Addressing the press in Nairobi, Cabinet Secretary in the interior ministry Joseph Nkaiserry said that the government has already evacuated 136 Kenyans living in the village by air to safeguard their lives following fears the militants may stage another attack.

He disclosed that the casualty would have been higher were it not the police who repelled the attackers who fled back to Somalia.

He said that they had received intelligence reports the militants wanted to massacre 150 civilians in the area saying the attackers may have had collaborators.

The Attackers are used grenades and guns to attack the victims.

"Kenya shall never be cowed to these evil murderers and our resolve to vanquish them remains resolute," the minister said.

At least 36 quarry workers were killed in December last year. This was after Al-Shabaab militants raided the quarry and killed the workers in a macabre manner as they slept.


advertisements
 
Click here