has denied al-Shabab’s allegations about Ankara’s involvement in a
recent operation by the US Navy’s special operation forces in Somalia.
“We deny these allegations completely," a Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman said in an interview on Sunday.
Al-Shabab spokesman, Abdulaziz Abu Musab, had claimed that the “failed” assault had been led by Britain and Turkey.
The UK has also refused claims about its role in the operation.
On Saturday, a group of US Navy Sea, Air, Land Teams (SEALs) carried
out a pre-dawn raid on a senior al-Shabab commander's seaside villa in
the coastal town of Baraawe in southern Somalia.
The operation was carried out following al-Shabab’s recent mall attack in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi.
The SEALs failed to capture the wanted militant and it is not clear
whether the targeted individual is dead or alive. However, a US official
said several al-Shabab forces were killed during the attack.
Al-Shabab’s four-day siege of the shopping mall, which started on
September 21, left 67 people dead, including three British nationals,
two French women, two Canadian citizens one of them a diplomat, a
Chinese woman, two Indians, a Ghanaian poet, a South Korean, a South
African, and a Dutch woman. Several Americans were also injured during
the hostage crisis.
Kenya has more than 4,000 soldiers in southern Somalia, where they have been battling the al-Shabab fighters since 2011.
The Kenyan troops are part of the African Union Mission in Somalia
(AMISOM) that gets training and equipment from the United States.
- See more at: http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/10/07/328133/turkey-denies-role-in-somalia-attack/#sthash.ya2HuKAu.dpuf