Puntland State of Somalia Galmudug State of Somalia
Sunday, May 27, 2012
The governments of Puntland and Galmudug have withdrawn from a planned trip to the Republic of Turkey, Where the Istanbul Conference Il on Somalia is supposed to take place 31 May 2012 -1 June 2012.
This decision came as a matter of principle, after Puntland and Galmudug recognized that the Turkish role in Somalia is a) misbalanced; b) objects to consulting the Somali people; c) politically motivated, in cohort with the foreign policy of some countries; and d) not transparent enough to for the people to make a sound judgment.
Puntland and Galmudug
1. Having valued adherence to the Roadmap agreement, the Garowe Principles I & ll, the Galkayo Principles, and most recently, the Addis Ababa Communiqué of 23 May 2012, on the way forward in the Roadmap and the constitutional process;
2. Having valued the limited amount of time until the end of the transitional period on 20 August 2012;
3. Having considered the confusion over the purpose of transporting Somali traditional elders to Turkey for a meeting and the subsequent mismanagement of the elders’ trip;
4. Having seen Turkey’s unilateral decision to organize a Somali civil society meeting without consulting the Somali people, Somali stakeholders and their institutions;
5. Having considered the worrying fact that Somali leaders and representatives from TFG, Puntland, Galmudug, and Ahlu Sunna have all stated that they have no reliable information about the purpose and agenda ofthe Istanbul meetings;
6. Having seen the situation of mismanagement and interference during the process of selecting Somali traditional elders; and
7. Having considered the absence of Puntland and Galmudug role at the Istanbul Conference ll on Somalia;
Puntland and Galmudug withdraw participation at the Istanbul Conference Il on Somalia, as the conference is not a Somali-owned process, the purpose and agenda of the conference is ambiguous, and the Conference aims to defy all agreements and precedents in search of a fresh start folythe peace process in Somalia, which is unacceptable.
Read below the official joint statement of Puntland and Galmudug signed by both presidents