Newstime Africa Nairobi Police boss warns that the Somalia militia group Al-Shabaab has issued fresh warnings of plans set to undertake terror attacks during the Holy month of Ramadhan that is expected to kick off today.
Sunday, July 22, 2012
Anthony Kibuchi through a statement said, “Al-Shabaab terrorists have yet again issued threats that they will carry out massive destruction during the Holy Month of Ramadhan. Let everybody be extra alert.” He said this a day after he had ordered increased police surveillance around shopping malls in towns and bus stations across the city. The increased patrols include an addition of paramilitary police who are said to be in the streets to boost surveillance and street patrols. The Police boss also advised business owners and other businesses operating in the public domain to properly frisk their customers before permitting them into their premises. “Everybody has to comply with the security measures put in place,” added Mr. Kibuchi.
Earlier on this week, the Israeli Embassy based in Nairobi issued repeated warnings of a possible global onslaught by terrorists, claiming that Kenya was among the targeted countries. This comes after Kenya witnessed several terror attacks from the Somalia-based militia group since October last year. The most recent of attacks being the Tuesday’s attacks in Wajir town which saw four people injured in a twin grenade explosion. The blasts are said to have hit Dubai Shopping Mall at around 7:45pm, with the other exploding several meters away from the scene of the attack.
This attacks are said to have been as a result of the major moves taken by the Kenya Defence Forces into Somalia in a bid to wipe out the militia group since October last year. At least 19 attacks have so far happened by use of grenades, with Nairobi falling victim four times. Last week, the United States Embassy issued a travel advisory warning cautioning its staff from touring to the North-Eastern Province where most attacks have pounded the area.