Today from Hiiraan Online:  _
Ads By Google
A man arrested in possession of 6 G3 rifles and 16 bullets in Elwak as 3 people shot dead in Garrisa

Monday , December 10, 2012
By: Zahra Rashid

A man was arrested on Sunday afternoon after being found in possession of six G3 rifles and 16 rounds of ammunition in Elwak, Mandera County. He is scheduled to be appear in court on Monday.

The 53-year-old Somali national was identified as Bishar Aden Bure. He was arrested while ferrying the weapons on a donkey cart. He was apprehended  by police before he could reach his destination. The detectives who also seized six empty magazines and a spare barrel seemed to have been tipped off.

The detectives believed that the weapons were being ferried to Garrisa and Nairobi (two areas that has been identified to be notorious for terror attacks this past few weeks) from Mandera, the Kenya-Somalia border for unknown missions.

Meanwhile two people were shot dead by unknown gunmen, among them was a KDF soldier and a civilian and 1 injured other outside a shop in Garissa.

The third victim, who is the owner of the shop, is admitted in hospital with a bullet lodged in his head but in listed under stable condition.

The North Eastern police boss, Philip Tuimur stated that the victims were seated outside the shop, chewing khat, in a company of a fourth man who apparently survived after excusing himself for a while.

He added that there are no arrest made so far following the Sunday evening incident in the area.

A senior official who decided to remain anonymous , stated that the men were shot at close range and the main motive is suspected to be the murder of the soldier and the other two were victims of circumstance.

“After the man left, gunmen arrived and confronted the deceased pulling the trigger into their heads at a close ranges, escaped without stealing anything from them,"

The incident came barely three weeks after the KDF solders were ambushed and killed by unknown gunmen as they attempted to change a flat tire in the outskirts of Garissa town. This prompted a crackdown and protest that led to destruction of properties worth millions of shillings.

A suspect is in custody in connection with the killings of the three security agents and facing various charges.

[email protected]

Nairobi, Kenya


Post your comments