Johannesburg - Violent attacks on foreign nationals are inappropriate and will not be tolerated, said the Department of Home Affairs on Friday.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Spokesperson Mantshele Tau said killing of foreigners had to deplored unequivocally.
"The department once again condemns reported attacks on foreigners in townships around Tshwane."
He said consultations were going on with relevant stakeholders to find a solution to the attacks .
Twice this month, people in the Pretoria townships have gone on a rampage, killing foreigners and vandalising their properties.
Other incidents were reported in the North West, Free State, Western Cape and the Eastern Cape.
The Somali Association of South Africa (Sasa) said on Friday said it condemned the increased violent attacks against the foreign community.
Just lip action so far
The association said it was only the 11th week of 2008 and killings and looting directed at foreigners were on the increase.
"We compliment the strong words of condemnations coming from the government and other stakeholders about these attacks, but such good gestures will remain lip service if they are not converted into actions."
The association said a comprehensive strategy to curb and eradicate the xenophobic tendencies in the country was needed, especially with 2010 in sight.
Source: Sapa, Mar 20, 2008