NDI SOMALIA VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
SUMMARY FOR POSITION:
Somali Federal Government's recent political progress provides a great opportunity to support the re-establishment of functional, democratic government institutions, specifically the federal parliament and the executive. NDI has been supporting Somali institutions during the transitional period and is poised to continue supporting the development of functional democratic frameworks through support to the executive and legislative branches in Somalia. With funding support from the UK Department for International Development (DFID), NDI is seeking technical policy experts to provide strategic guidance to key government officials and support policy formation in key ministries.
The Policy Expert will be posted within designated offices of the Somali Federal Government and will be responsible for leading activities in his or her programmatic area contributing to the policy development and strategic direction of the designated office within the Somali Federal Government in Mogadishu, Somalia. She/he will help designated government institutions define, and as necessary strengthen their understanding of the function of ministries and will provide structured support to Somali's federal executive offices and ministries on issues related to strengthening designated government units, supporting processes for policy design and development, and creating and implementing systems that will improve intra-agency policy consultation and coordination.
As a consultant of NDI, policy expert will be required to adhere to the mandates of NDI as well as the Somali Government policy, legal framework and public administration processes with special regard to those elements that could enhance development of Somali Federal Government institutions.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Following a brief orientation period, specific tasks that the Policy Coordination Expert will be responsible for the following:
- Drawing on own expertise, provide sound guidance and advice on policy formulation process;
- Analyze public issues and policies at the ministerial level and offer solutions to ensure that they are coordinated with government enunciated policies.
- Analyze operations of respective government departments offering solutions to functional and organizational challenges;
- Foster positive working relationships between principal government offices and other departments of the Executive coordinating multiple teams on substance of policy issues, training sessions, ad hoc meetings and consultations on government activities;
- Facilitate the creation and implementation of strategic planning sessions with designated political staff in the main government offices and ministerial departments to improve intra-agency policy consultation and coordination;
- Make recommendations based on the analysis of the policies examined, on more effective ways of increasing the impact of the expert function;
- Engage with other government departments and international partners in the formulation, development of above government strategy
- Support the evaluation of government policies and progress made towards completion of tasks outlined in the overall strategy so developed;
- Submit reports outlining policy development achievements, challenges, and recommendations for re-focusing / for better performance of the expert function;
- Support any other function government leadership deems appropriate that lends itself towards building the capacities of ministries.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in public administration, public policy, law, political science or related field;, Master's degree preferred;
- Minimum ten (10) years of relevant work experience with government / international setting with focus on capacity transfer at institutional level;
- Proven senior level managerial, strategic, and organizational development experience;
- Expertise in strategic program management, especially with regard to NDI’s goals;
- Ability to analyze strength of management, vision and adaptive capacity;
- Ability to set priorities and to lead planning processes; ability to think critically, objectively and strategically;
- Experience in public policy development within government institutions and proven ability to transfer skills and experience to others;
- Experience in working with and providing technical advice to high ranking officials;
- Ability to work in teams and develop programs; create synergies and coordinate joint program efforts in post-conflict environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines;
- Ability to effectively and appropriately handle stressful working conditions;
- Proven capacity to meet program goals while managing program responsibilities;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively present information in a clear and persuasive manner and English;
- Proficiency in Somali language preferred;
- Ability to travel to and work in challenging contexts.
Please submit your application online at [email protected], not later than March 7, 2013 . Only short-listed candidates will be contacted to go through a two stage interview process.