Today from Hiiraan Online:
Raila cancels countrywide rallies
Thursday, March 21, 2013
Prime Minister Raila Odinga has suspended countrywide political rallies pending the outcome of the petition he filed against the election of Uhuru Kenyatta as president at the Supreme Court.
Raila also appealed to CORD supporters to remain calm and respect the rule of law as the highest court in Kenya handles the presidential petition.
“Mr Odinga and the CORD leadership agreed to suspend all political activity for the duration of the hearing of the election petition in the Supreme Court,” stated a statement released on Thursday.
Raila said the idea of countrywide rallies had been discussed but was dropped altogether on Wednesday after wider consultations.
“Mr Odinga appeals to his supporters to respect and have faith in the Judiciary as the Supreme Court prepares to hear his election petition,” the statement concluded.
On Thursday, The National Security Advisory Committee told the PM to suspend planned countrywide rallies as they could trigger violence.
NSAC upheld a ban on political meetings.
The committee, which is chaired by Head of Civil Service Francis Kimemia met on Wednesday evening and declared they will not allow the meetings to continue as planned.
Members of NSAC include Kimemia, Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo, Permanent Secretaries Mutea Iringo, Thuita Mwangi, Nancy Kirui, National Intelligence Service Director General Michael Gichangi, Attorney General Githu Muigai and Kimaiyo’s deputies Grace Kaindi and Samuel Arachi.
Man stoned to death by Somali rebels for homosexual sex act
AU Somali force readies for possible Ethiopia pullout
ICC prosecutor won’t drop Uhuru charges
EPS reaches out to Somali community to track down suspect
Somali lawmakers face critical test with implementation of federalism
Somalia captives return home
- Khaleej Times
Somali Youth Get Jobs, Businesses From U.S.-Funded Training
Hargeisa Court Sentences Elder to Two Years in Jail for Treason
AG defends current office holders
European Union Pledges 33 Million Euros to Amisom
- Sabahi Online
U.S. Offers $5 Million Bounties For American Terrorists In Somalia
String of bomb attacks in Somalia’s capital empties beach restaurants, holds back progress
Post your comments
You need a Frames Capable browser to view this content.
All Rights Reserved Copyright. © 1999-2013, www.hiiraan.com