2014-09-15
Today from Hiiraan Online:  _
Somali government condemns deadly Mogadishu suicide car bomb

Xinhua
Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Somali government and the UN envoy for the country on Monday strongly condemned the deadly suicide car bomb explosion that left at least 10 people dead and 15 more injured.

An explosives-laden SUV detonated in a street in the Somali capital Mogadishu close to the National Theater as convoy of the local intelligence agency chief, Khalif Ahmed Ereg, was passing by.

At least 10 people are now confirmed dead and 15 others injured after the explosion hit a minibus carrying civilians. The Somali security official, Ahmed Ereg, who was the target of the blast, is reported to have survived the attack but sustained minor injury.

Both Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamoud and Prime Minister Abdi Farah Shirdon condemned the suicide car bomb attack and sent their condolences to the families of those affected by the explosion.

Mohamoud blamed the militant Al-Shabaab group for the attack, saying being defeated military, Al-Shabaab began targeting civilians.

“We have to counter the enemy together. We defeated Al-Shabaab and we will continue to defeat the enemy who lack sanctuary in the world and we must deny them here in Somalia,” Somali President said.

Somali Prime Minister said the “futile” attack will not “derail” his government and vowed to continue to rebuild Somalia.

“These misguided attempts to derail us will have no effect. We have made far too much progress to regress to the bad old days. Peace, stability and business are the order of the day,” said Somali PM.

The UN Special to Somalia Augustine Mahiga, expressed shock and sadness at the deadly Mogadishu blast saying it was “unacceptable. “

“.. These cowardly terrorist attacks will only reinforce the determination of the Somali people to persevere. At this sad moment, our thoughts are with family and friends of those injured and killed,” Mahiga said in a statement.

The Islamist Al-Qaida-linked Al-Shabaab group has claimed responsibility for the attack. Al-Shabaab has previously vowed to continue attacks in Somalia after the movement was ousted from major urban areas in the southern and central parts of the Horn of Africa nation since 2011.





Post your comments