Wednesday, March 14, 2012
The death toll after grenade attacks in the Kenyan capital at the
weekend has risen to nine, after three more people died of their
injuries, the Kenya Red Cross said Tuesday.
One patient died on Monday night and two others on Tuesday afternoon.
are some of the people who sustained very serious injuries after the
grenade attack," said Kenya Red Cross spokesman Fredric Gori.
Attackers threw four grenades from a vehicle at a busy bus terminus in Nairobi on Saturday, also wounding more than 60 others.
At least 40 survivors are still in hospital.
extremist Shebab rebels whom Kenya blamed for staging the attack denied
responsibility, but threatened to launch attacks on a much bigger scale
against Nairobi, which sent troops into southern Somalia last year to
battle the Al Qaeda-linked insurgents,
Four suspects, including
three minors, arrested by Kenyan police over the explosions were freed
on Monday, but face further interrogation. They are yet to be charged.
new death toll makes Saturday's attack the deadliest since an Al
Qaeda-claimed bombing of an Israeli-owned hotel in Mombasa in 2002.