Effective Friday, August 21, 2009, Prof. Ahmed Mumin Warfa is appointed as the Senior advisor of the President of the Somali Republic.
As Advisor, Prof. Warfa will review, evaluate and/or better formulate (if necessary) the existing, upcoming, and/or in planning stage projects directly connected with the offices of the President, and related to:
1. Confidence building, which is designed to lower tensions and make it less likely that conflicts would break out through misunderstanding, mistake, or misreading of actions of potential adversaries among Somalis.
2. Capacity building, which is an ongoing process through which individuals, groups, organizations and societies enhance their ability to identify and meet development challenges. The capacity building related to training and education in and by international develoment institutions with the scope of reaching independence and sustainable life of people will be the final goal for it.
3. Nation-building, which refers to the process of constructing or structuring a national identity using the power of the state. This process aims at the unification of the people or peoples within the state so that it remains politically stable and viable in the long run. Nation-building can involve the use of propaganda or major infrastructure development to foster social harmony and economic growth.
4. Identifying good and sound relationship approaches with the neighbouring countries and their peoples; as well as the Intergovernmental Authority for Development (IGAD); African Union (AU); Arab League (AL); Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC); European Union (EU); UN Agencies with references to the office of the Special Representative of the Secretary General (SRSG), United Nations Development Program (UNDP), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), among others. The same applies to the foreign diplomats, country representatives, donors, friendly countries.
5. Review and evaluate on the status of the local, regional and national level NGOs, operating in emergency, relief, and rehabilitation activities in Somalia.
6. Explore and study ways of linking the Somali professionals, intellectuals, etc. of the Diaspora communities with the current Transitional Federal Government (TFG). To this end, organized workshops, conferences and media participation will be of great importance for the program to succeed. Among the participants of this program, identify a group of intellectuals and professionals, called the "Civil Servant Core Group" with higher education and experiences in fields related to financial systems management, human resources, law and policy, etc.
While at home (Somalia), work directly with the President, and advise the day-to-day operations of the presidency, and submit reports on monthly bases while abroad.
Finally, Prof. Warfa is expected not to reserve efforts in making Somalia a better place to live. Therefore, the Somali government, parliament, and international organizations working with Somalia are asked to cooperate with Professor Ahmed M. Warfa, the Senior advisor of the President in performing his duties.